**NOTE: The online store has closed.
Tickets for tomorrow's event will be available for purchase at the Door**
(Posted 7/25/2014 @ 7:30pm)
Are you aware of what is currently happening in the area of Eugenics?
Are you prepared to understand pending, proposed, and future legislation related to
Genetic Testing & Human Reproduction?
Are you equipped to explain with confidence to others the teaching of the Catholic Church on
Eugenics, Genetic Screening and Selection, Embryonic Manipulation,
and the Creation of "Designer Babies"?
BIOETHICS & EUGENICS CONFERENCE (8AM - 5PM)
Archbishop José Gomez and the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, in cooperation with the National Catholic Bioethics Center (NCBC) is offering a one day conference on eugenics and ethics that will cover relevant aspects of this impending issue of morality and personal and religious liberty.
- the exploding science of eugenics
- the terminology and language of science and politics
- the threat of impending legislation, issues of public and private policy
- the moral and ethical teaching of the Church
- the manipulation of public perception and opinion.
Download: Eugenics & Ethics Event Flyer
When: July 26, 2014 9:00AM to 5:00PM
Where: The Conference Center at Cathedral Plaza
Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels
555 W. Temple St., Los Angeles, CA 90012
Secure parking in the Cathedral is included with registration.
SPEAKERS AND PRESENTATION TITLES:
- John M. Haas, PhD, Director of the National Catholic Bioethics Center and Bioethics Advisor to the National Conference of Catholic Bishops PhD in Moral Theology from the Catholic University of America, “The Threats and Challenges of Eugenics” | bio (pdf)
- Father Tad Pacholczyk, PhD, Education Director for the National Catholic Bioethics Center, PhD in Neuroscience from Yale University, “The Catholic Moral Tradition in Defense of Human Dignity" | bio (pdf)
- Father Nicanor Austriaco, OP, STL, PhD, Associate Professor of Biology and Instructor of Theology, Providence College, PhD in Biology from M.I.T. and STL in Moral Theology, “The New Biotechnologies of the 21st Century” | bio (pdf)
- Dr. Vincent M. Fortanasce, MD, Clinical Professor of Neurology at USC, “The Spin – Hiding the Truth”
- Attorney Charles S. LiMandri, JD, Juris Doctor Degree from Georgetown University Law Center, Diploma in International Law from the University College of Wales, “Public and Private Policies Mandating Genetic Testing and Eugenics” | bio (pdf)
- Panel Discussion and Audience Interaction: The Future of the Eugenics Movement and Our Moral Responsibility as Catholics
John Haas, PhD, Vincent Fortanasce, MD, Father Michael Barrett, STD (Personal Theologian to Archbishop Jose Gomez), Dr. Roberto Dell’Oro (Director, The Bioethics Institute, and Professor, Department of Theological Studies, Loyola Marymount University, Los Angeles)
An Additional Evening Event and a Personal Invitation
POPE ST. JOHN PAUL II AWARDS DINNER (6PM - 10PM)
For those who have the means and who wish to support this effort and the National Catholic Bioethics Center, a recognition dinner will take place on the same evening, July 26th, from 6:00 PM to 10:00 PM at the nearby DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel in downtown Los Angeles. (The Thousand Cranes Room).
CEUs for NURSES AVAILABLE
Continuing Education Units available for Nurses. Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, provider #14443, for seven (7) service hours.
For more information, please visit California Nurses for Ethical Standards (CNES): www.ethicalnurses.org